You’ve decided to hire more Women in Tech… Now what?
Tools for Removing Unconscious Bias & Diversity Sourcing
- Diversity Sourcing: Boolean Search Strings for LinkedIn – Some “starter” queries for Boolean search strings for diversity sourcing on LinkedIn.
- Managing Bias – A suite of videos and resources released by Facebook around unconscious bias, addressing job postings and interviews, as well as on-the-job interactions.
- NPM’s Guidelines for writing job posts for diversity – Short and sweet job description guideline, with link to an open source repo of former job descriptions.
- Textio – Easy-to-use platform for optimizing job descriptions by uncovering key phrases and unconscious gender bias.
Tactics for Recruiting & Retaining Diverse Candidates:
- Prioritizing Diversity – 5 Things companies can do to cultivate diversity TechCrunch:
- Hey, Men in Tech: 10 Tips for Solving Your Pipeline Problem Katrin Verclas
- How to Hire More Women at Your Startup Cristina Cordova
- 10 Actionable Ways to Actually Increase Diversity In Tech Catherine Ashcroft, FastCompany
- There’s No Excuse For Not Hiring Women The Wall Street Journal
- Hiring Female Tech Talent in NYC: An Open Source Experiment Alleywatch
Specialized Recruitment & Consulting Firms:
- Awesome Co – Surfaces diverse talent for tech companies [New York City]
- Blendoor – Mobile job matching app that hides candidate name and photo to circumvent unconscious bias and facilitate diversity recruiting in tech companies
- Paradigm – Has helped companies like Slack and Airbnb identify strategies to more effectively attract, hire, develop, and retain a diverse workforce.
- Power To Fly – Recruitment firm specializing in remote jobs for women in tech [Global]
- recruitHER – Full-service recruiting firm committed to connecting tech companies with diverse talent
Women’s Tech Communities
- Chicago Women Developers – Community of women who love to code or want to learn [Chicago]
- Ladies Who Code – Brings the brightest female minds together to code, talk tech, share ideas and innovate via global meetups & conferences [Global]
- Latinas in Computing – Community created by and for the Latinas in computing
- Lesbians Who Tech – Community of queer women in & around tech (and the people who love them)
- Linuxchix – Network of women working in Linux around the world. Includes Chicas Linux, a chapter devoted to supporting Spanish-speaking women in Linux. [Global]
- NY Tech Women – Organizes educational and social events for female technologists [New York City]
- Systers – One of the world’s largest email communities of technical women in computing [Global]
- Women’s Coding Collective – Community of women who create for the web [Boston, Global]
- Women in Tech – Membership organization for women in tech [Global]
- Women Who Tech – Brings together talented and renowned women breaking new ground in technology who use their tech savvy skills to transform the world and inspire change [Global]
Lists of Top Women in Tech
- Top 50 Female Full Stack Developers in New York City [New York City]
- Top 50 Female Front-End Engineers In San Francisco [San Francisco]
- 50 Women in Tech Dominating Silicon Valley [Silicon Valley]
- Women Who Tech Presentation: Disrupting the Startup Brogrammer Culture
- Hire More Women In Tech
- Sponsorship isn’t enough: Why Tech Companies Are Failing To Attract Female Engineers
Thank you to Allyson Kapin and the wonderful community of Women Who Tech for introducing me to several of these resources.